I soaked his foot with epsom salt, then poulticed and wrapped. Even though Cupid has had several abscesses I decided to call the vet. The vet confirmed the diagnosis, and tested his feet but wasn't able to locate it either but suspected it may be in the bar. I poulticed and wrapped, and Cupid stayed in his stall.
By Sunday morning Cupid was walking comfortably. In fact when I brought him out for a walk he was full of energy, prancing instead of walking. I couldn't see that anything had burst, but it was hard to tell since I had put icthammol on it. So I soaked his foot again, and this time wrapped with a dry poultice. By his second walk Cupid was still full of energy, so I decided to try turning him out for a little bit while I watch to make sure he stays out of trouble. Cupid looked like he wanted to play, but the other horses ignored him so Cupid decided it wasn't worth it running around by himself. After about an hour I put him back in his stall.
While I was hanging out with Cupid this weekend I got a lot done, cleaning most of my tack and also practiced my dressage braids! I haven't braided a horse in over 15 years, but my trainer recently showed me her method. The best part is I don't even really have to pull Cupid's mane for it, yay!
|First attempt |
|Day 2 attempt|
I also got the opportunity to ride one of my trainer's horses, a thoroughbred gelding much further along than Cupid. It felt strange and was a little scary riding a different horse, but he was was good. He did test me a little, luckily just by taking small steps and not by running or bucking!