Tuesday, October 24, 2017

New Saddle - Stubben Juventus dressage

The dressage saddle I ordered almost 2 months ago has arrived!  After much deliberation, I selected the Stubben Juventus.  This saddle is designed for youths, or petite adults.  It only comes in one seat size and flap length, so it is quicker to make and also less expensive, so I was quite lucky that the size happens to fit me well!  I am 5'2", with I think average proportions for my height.  When I tried the demo saddle it fit me well, but was big on Cupid.  The saddle fitter said he is a 29 tree - which I didn't expect since his Stubben jumping saddle is a 31.  But they are different models, and that one is foam while this one is wool flocked. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't like it as much as I remembered from when I tried the demo.  I've also heard a lot of horror stories about people buying new custom saddles that end up not fitting at all.  I am happy to say that I am quite pleased with my new saddle, but I did have a shock when I opened the box.  The demo dressage saddle had a patent trim, and also rhinestones on the stirrup leather keepers and on the back of the saddle.  I asked the fitter if I could get it with all black leather, no trim.  I asked for the regular leather, not calf skin, so it would be more durable.  When I opened the box I realized the saddle had the rhinestones!  Ack!

I was panicking a little, thinking I would have to either live with a sparkly saddle or wait 6-8 weeks for another one.  But my rep told me the rhinestone parts were interchangeable, and when he comes out in 2 weeks to adjust the flocking he will remove it and replace with plain pieces.  Phew!

The saddle has a point billets (comes out from the bottom of the knee roll), so I'm still kind of getting used to that.  I think I only put the rear billet through the saddle pad keepers?  The saddle also comes with a velcro knee block.  My trainer helped me adjust it.  At first we had it a bit low and it wasn't comfortable, but I think it's in the proper place now.

I like the leather a lot.  Despite not being calf, it is fairly soft and had a nice light grip.  I opted for the Biomex seat, and a few rides in I think it does help my lower back quite a bit!  Sometimes my lower back is starting to hurt by the end of an hour long ride, maybe it was a coincidence but I didn't feel anything today.


No comments:

Post a Comment