Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Response Time

Cupid and I have continued taking it easy.  Even though I don't really notice the smoke anymore, I'm not sure how much better it actually is versus me just getting used to it, so I don't want to push it too much.  Also although we've had some better and worst days, I'm still not convinced he is 100%.  It still is only ever a problem cantering on the left, and not all the time.  It's possible it's just a training/attitude problem, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and not pressing it.  So we've been keeping our rides shorter (generally 30-45 minutes) and lighter, but trying to focus on more prompt responses.

Part of this has been crisper transitions, within and between gaits.  We've also been working a bit on trot-halt-trot for when we move up to First level - this definitely needs work!  I know I also need him more responsive to the leg, so we've been doing leg yielding and playing with some turns on the forehand and haunches, which he's starting to get the idea of.

The other thing I've been working on is improving our connection.  I start with asking for a halt, then use steady pressure on both reins until Cupid drops his nose.  Then I tell him he's a good boy and ask him to walk on while maintaining that connection.  When we start to lose it, we stop and start over. 
Making friends

Post ride cuddles
Last week and this week we did hop over some little crossrails, but that was mostly just so we don't forget and it doesn't become a big deal if we do start jumping more again next year.  Indeed it was no big deal for Cupid, even though I felt a little sloppy and disorganized.  Otherwise we've just been cruising around the property a bit, sometimes bareback for fun.

We have rain forecasted for tomorrow, and on and off the next few days.  But it hasn't rained in a while so I don't think it will get too muddy.  But time to start preparing for winter, yuck!

1 comment:

  1. glad things are going well despite all the smoke and terrible weather.... hopefully the rain cleared a lot of that out!

    ReplyDelete