Monday, March 11, 2019

Pre-pre-pre Intro to Piaffe

Since we had to wait for a lunging horse to finish, we started our lesson last weekend with a little bit of in-hand work.  I don't do it as often as I should, as I find it beneficial for my connection with Cupid, it allows me to actually watch him, and he seems to enjoy it.  But it also makes me feel pretty uncoordinated sometimes! 

The technique my trainer showed me for the shoulder in is to stand at the horse's shoulder but facing his tail, with the hand closest to the horse holding the inside rein just below the bit, and the other hand kind of between his neck and shoulders holding the outside rein and also the whip.  I have a hard enough time keeping steady contact when riding but it's even worst from the ground!  Not to mention walking backwards quickly enough to get a decent walk.  Then bring his nose towards me as I half-turn in towards him so I'm kind of crossing my legs over which is supposed to encourage him to do the same with his hind legs.  He is really good with my trainer, and I really enjoy watching her work!

Afterwards my trainer did a very preliminary step towards piaffe.  Which is crazy (and exciting) for me to think about that some day Cupid and I might there!!  Dressage wasn't really on my radar when I got him, but I am loving the journey (and some days hating it too!)  Anyways, after all that build up this is going to be disappointing, because all she did was use the whip to get him to lift his hind legs, one at a time.  Lol.  Cupid was a bit confused at first, that seemed too easy he assumed we must want him to move sideways or something.  But he got a treat for lifting his leg so he thought that was pretty cool. 

Starting off in hand is also beneficial because then I tell myself Cupid is warmed up and ready for work so I'm not as tempted to dawdle when I get on and start with a few lazy laps.  Though I have gotten better about that recently since I've had less time, but Cupid also feels more mentally engaged. 

The riding portion of our lesson was more of the same, mostly working on improving roundness.  A lot of shoulder in, to straighten and lengthen the trot a bit.  We also did a fairly long canter set, alternating between a working canter and lengthening a bit.  And as usual a lot of prompts from my trainer to keep my right hand closed, to not let my left hand drift over the neck, and to keep my legs long / not brace through the knee and lift my heel!
 
Random staring off into nothing

1 comment: