Friday, May 24, 2019

Might as Well Jump

I'm in the busiest time of year at my work, but have been managing to get short rides in most mornings.  The baby just turned 6 months old (!!) and is very much into being bounced.  So we've been listening to songs like Van Halen's Jump and House of Pain's Jump Around as we bounce him around - and perhaps that was my inspiration to do a little jumping myself this morning.  It's been several weeks, since Cupid's foot problems.

We started with some basic flatwork - a long walk off the rail trying to get him forward and straight (he was being a bit lazy and drifting), then some bending, trotting to loosen up.  A quick walk break then more trot, adding some shallow leg yields, then a little canter. 

Then we trotted into the caveletti, starting on the right rein, cantering out and coming to a halt.  Our first halt was definitely right of center, and almost at the wall.  Plus when he halted he swung his haunches, so we backed a few steps.  Back around at the trot, over again coming out much straighter into the halt.  Once more to make sure we had it, then switched to the left.  Cupid wanted to canter, and perhaps I should have insisted on a trot but hey he was on the correct lead and being quiet so I let him.  He met the caveletti in a good spot, we cantered out and halted.  Then we did it once to the left from a trot for good measure.  Then we cantered it going right.  And ended with this little 2 stride combo.  The first jump was a low x-oxer, then to a 2'3" vertical.  Cupid went over quietly, though he was a little playful on landing ducking his head down and dolphining a bit.  This time I made sure he kept cantering until I asked him to trot, and then keep trotting until I asked him to walk.  I had fun jumping and was only nervous for a brief moment before heading down the line :)
Happy with my tracks, straight and centered!
Looks like we're in for some June gloom
Just because I think his little ears are cute!

2 comments:

  1. gotta love it when the freshly dragged ring shows your tracks and the tracks look good haha -- that's definitely not always the case lol ;) happy bday to the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tracks are perfect! I love a freshly dragged ring. I’ve been known to drag it, ride, then drag it again for the next day.

    ReplyDelete