Friday, September 20, 2019

Hitting Our Stride

Cupid has been going so well (physically feeling good, as well as progressing in our training) I decided it was time to try jumping again!  I surveyed the arena and was happy to see the jumps were all small verticals, about 18" with one little oxer.  I briefly considered dropping one to a crossrail, but instead put out a caveletti. 

After a short warm up we did some flatwork, where I focused on putting Cupid on my outside rein.  I was ready to bail on my plan to jump at the first sign of any resistance or hint of misbehavior, but Cupid was being very good.  So we picked up the right lead canter, did a few 20 meter circles, went around the arena, and I focused my gaze on the caveletti.  We met it perfectly!  A few times to the right, then switched to left (Cupid has been consistently picking up the correct lead since he got the pads, hurray!) and found great distances each time! 

I added a vertical after the caveletti.  I didn't realize until I was heading towards it that we were aiming straight for the gate, but Cupid was very good and didn't quicken.  So big pats for him.  Then I put together a little course, I think about 6 jumps including the little oxer.  Cupid was super - we mostly did trot changes but I did get a lead change over the caveletti which I was very happy about.

I couldn't be happier with how the ride went.  Even though we haven't jumped in about 4 months I didn't feel rusty.  I actually felt more secure and confident then I have in a long time.  All that dressage work paying off, haha.  We may have some jumping related events coming up soon ;)

Another thing we have coming up is a Working Equitation test ride clinic, so today I wanted to practice for that.  I signed up for the Novice test, which I haven't ridden before but it's comparable to a Training level dressage test - except there is a reinback and no walk steps into/out of the halt.  Plus it's on a short court so everything comes up quicker!  The dressage ring was unavailable so I did it in the covered arena, in a space even a bit smaller than a short court.  I thought it went okay, except the transitions into the canter were quite late so we worked on sharpening them.  First between trot and walk, then trot and canter - the downs were fine but if Cupid wasn't prompt it was a quick tap-tap.  After a few reminders they felt pretty good, so we ended with a little stretching trot.

I am feeling very optimistic about our progress!  If the next few weeks go well, hopefully we can think about trying First level end of next moth!



2 comments:

  1. Good boy Cupid! You two are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yay for having a little fun with jompies!! That’s exciting about the WE clinic too

    ReplyDelete