Monday, October 21, 2019

Thoroughbred Show

Not sure if I should share this news yet because I don't want to jinx it / embarrass myself if it doesn't come together, but ... I'm forming a planning committee to hopefully organize a thoroughbred show in Northern California!

There is a big event in Southern California I was hoping to go to.  I pretty much talked myself into going this year.  And I was okay with it being 5+ hours away... except it's in December, and involves driving across the Grapevine - a steep, unpredictable mountain pass that is often closed or backed up due to weather or traffic.  And then, it's a two day event but all the classes I was interested in are on Sunday - so 1) I would probably only do dressage, and 2) it's harder to justify going down there just to show one day.  So instead I decided to look into hosting a show closer to me, where I would have more input over the schedule, lol. (Even though I won't get to actually enter myself)

I'm not taking this endeavor lightly, and have only begun to scratch the surface of all that needs happen to get it done.  A few people have already volunteered to help organize, through an OTTB page on Facebook.  As I was messaging someone I realized I had an old unread message I never saw.  From someone who owns Cupid's half-sister!  I already thought that was pretty cool, and then I realized I recognized that person's name as the organizer of a Lucinda Green clinic I audited several years ago.  So, someone who owns an OTTB + has organization experience - I asked her to join the planning and she agreed! :)

I have all sorts of ideas.  In addition to the show itself I would love to get some guest speakers to lecture on topics such as nutrition/feeding the OTTB/ulcer prevention, and hoof care (another big topic with OTTBs!).  I also thought it would be good to do a clinic on Friday before the show - if we could get someone who does hunter derbies I think that would be popular and also dressage.

Wish me luck!!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! Best of luck, sounds like you are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds really exciting - i hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete