Monday, September 14, 2015

Heat Wave

Cupid and I completed our "boot camp" - six consecutive days of lessons!  I was worried he would get cranky or sore by the end, but he was a good boy throughout. 
With the jumping he's good as long as I'm good.  Some days I let my anxiety get the better of me, and we had a run out when I got scared of a jump over barrels.  We ended up taking the middle barrel out and just trotting through it a few times as I didn't feel confident enough to try again, and jumped some crossrails.  But the next day we did the barrels - the trainer put up "bumper lanes" (aka wings) which helped me feel more confident.  Cupid doesn't need them but sometimes I do!  We did a nice little course, trotting most but cantering a few of the jumps.  Cupid still jumps a little green and I'm never sure if he's going to add a stride or take off early, or jump huge but mostly I just try to stay out of his way.
We also worked on our dressage tests.  I have them memorized, but will probably have someone call it at the show because I may forget with the nerves!  The biggest things we have to work on are the trot-walk transition, which is still too abrupt, and me relaxing and sitting up when Cupid gets quick instead of leaning more forward like I tend to do.  I also am still getting used to the longer stirrups, it feels weird and like I can't even post up.
We've had a little heat wave.  Luckily my lessons are in the morning, but even by 8 it has been 80 degrees!  Due to the drought I've only been sponging Cupid off after I ride, but on Saturday I finally couldn't take it anymore, he was totally filthy so I gave him a good rinse with the hose.  He looks so much better now plus I can get him ready quicker.  
Fly proof
The water is always cooler on the other side of the fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment