Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Seven Oaks Dressage Year End Schooling Show

Going to a show (even a schooling show) is always a little nerve-wracking, but even more so when our dressage court has been closed so I couldn't practice the test in a correct sized and marked arena, and when I'm not even sure I will be able to get there if my horse won't load!  Plus I was pretty sure it would get rained out anyways, but the rain held off.  I got an email 2 days before that the show was still on, but the warm up arena might not be available so everyone got a scheduled time to warm up in the show ring in groups of two or three.  That actually sounded like a good thing, so we can do a quick test run.  I was doing the same two tests I rode last time, Training 1 and 2.

The day before the show I did some loading practice with my trainer.  I was leading Cupid and she held a whip behind him.  After a few minutes we switched, and just a few moments later (with me swishing a lunge whip and tapping the ground behind him) Cupid loaded.  We left the doors open, just closed the divider and let Cupid eat hay.  After about 15 minutes I let him off.  We did an easy hack around the property, and just a few minutes in the arena for some quick circles and transitions.  Then I gave Cupid a bath.  Then we went back to the trailer, where I had Cupid's bucket in the back and he walked right up!  Again I left him on to eat for about 15 minutes.  I hoped we would be good for the next day.  I cleaned all our tack and put in the trailer so we'd be ready to go.

Sunday morning I left early for the barn.  I witnessed an unfortunately accident on the way, and stopped to make sure help was on the way.  I still had plenty of time so went ahead and braided Cupid.  My trainer said it looked good, though a few braids were a little loose by the end they stayed in and I think it was a good first attempt.

I put on Cupid's shipping boots and tried to think positive as we headed towards the trailer.  Again I had his bucket in the back.  I felt him hesitate, and asked my boyfriend to get in the trailer and shake the bucket.  Cupid stepped right up, and I breathed a sigh of relief!

It was about half an hour drive, and I got there about 20 minutes before my warm up time.  Just enough time to check in, unload, and tack up.  I left Cupid on the trailer with the window open while I checked in, with my boyfriend staying with him.  He said Cupid seemed a little anxious, but Cupid was good when I unloaded and stood tied to the trailer while I tacked up.

We headed into the ring to warm up.  Halfway through our first lap, Cupid spooked because there was a hedge along the side separating us from another ring and he caught a glimpse of a horse passing by on the other side.  Oh great, I though.  I kept him moving, and after walking another minute or two we started trotting some circles, trying to get him to bend and focus.  Cupid was starting to settle when my trainer showed up. 

She had us trot more circles, including some 10 meter circles within our bigger circles, and a little shoulder fore.  Then she had me canter, yelling "more! more!" which kind of just made me laugh because a bigger canter was pretty much the last thing I wanted, I was quite happy that Cupid seemed relaxed.

Warm up time was over, and we were up first so the other rider left.  Cupid whinnied after the other horse, a bit distracted.  Training 1 is a very straightforward test, where you trot a 20 meter circle, canter a 2 meter circle, change direction at the free walk, and do the same the other direction.  Our only major mistake was dropping to the trot early from the canter.  I thought our transitions into the canter were decent, and I was happy we got the left lead (which hasn't been a problem the last few weeks but has been in the past). 

We waited outside the ring for one rider to go through, then it was our turn again for Training 2.  Even though I memorized the test I decided to use the reader, just so I don't have to worry about forgetting again since this one is more complicated.  Right when we we about to go into the stretch trot circle and horse trailer drove by with a whinnying horse, and Cupid's head shot up and I couldn't really refocus him quickly enough.  I was pretty disappointed since usually the stretchy trot is one of his best moves.

Overall it went good, a few green moments and I still need to work on sitting more upright.  Our tests were a bit conservative, Cupid was a little quick and above the bit in some parts and I should have pushed him for more impulsion.  But I was very happy with him, and proud of us.  We have some work to do this winter but hopefully will be ready for our rated dressage debut next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment