Tuesday, June 23, 2020

All Tied Up

Bending my elbows has been a years-long battle.  I didn't realize how bad it was until I rode in the David Ventura clinic over 2 years ago, and we spent almost my entire session with him imploring me to bend my elbows.  (Here he is trying to adjust my arms: http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/2018/02/delta-sierra-chapter-competition-clinic.html)  Recently my coach suggested literally tying my arms to my sides.  Desperate times call for desperate measures!

First I just used a long, thin band that I wrapped around my chest and arms just above the elbows, tying a bow in front.  Then I realized at home I have a nylon strap thing that is actually a yoga mat holder, but works perfectly for this - it is basically a mickey mouse shape with one bigger loop and two smaller loops.  I tie the bigger loop around my chest, and then slip my arms through the smaller loops, which have velcro so might have some quick release if needed.  (Luckily I haven't had to test it out!)

Even with the strap, my arms are still "above the vertical"
I thought it would feel weird, but actually I don't really notice it most of the time.  I don't do it super tight (as you can see in the photo, my upper arms are still not fully vertical), but it's an improvement and will hopefully help build the muscle memory.  Even though I don't really notice it, I think I subconsciously feel something there which is a reminder to bend my arms. 

2 comments:

  1. These always make me nervous because I wonder what would happen if you fell off but you said that they are loose so ignore me :) . I have short arms and bending the elbows is harder. I remember one lesson when the instructor keep saying 'bend your elbows' followed by 'have your hands over the whithers'. Finally I had to stop and say 'you get bent elbows or hands over the whithers!' and then I had to show her that if I bent my elbows and kept them at my sides then my hands literally could not reach the whither. She even pulled on them to check. *eyeroll*. Now I just go with bent elbows because that makes everything softer.

    ReplyDelete