Thursday, September 10, 2020

Herd Life


This is what Cupid's been up to lately: hanging out with his buddies.  I haven't even gotten on him in a full week, since a pretty great lesson last Friday.  

Generally Cupid is in a box stall overnight, and outside with three other geldings from about 9-4.  I think he really enjoys this horsey time.  It is especially apparent if I've taken him off the property, if we get back in time that he can still go out in turnout he is always very peppy walking over, and I imagine he is excited to tell his buddies about his adventures.  

He's been with this same herd for a few years now, and they generally get along though Cupid does get the occasional bite mark.  He is third in the pecking order.  He was bottom horse for a long time, and when the now lowest ranking horse came in I think Cupid was a little too happy to have someone he could push around a bit.  He is not aggressive, but he did seem to enjoy getting the other horse to relinquish his hay pile or move out of Cupid's way.

Cupid actually gets along with, and likes being around, other horses.  He is very friendly.  A little too much some times, he doesn't really respect other horse's spaces and some horses seem to find him a little annoying!  But I've had a few people say that their horse doesn't always like sharing the arena but they don't seem to mind Cupid, so that's good.

On the trail Cupid's gotten a lot more confident leading, and is now starting to take greener horses out to lead the way.  I have been hesitant to do this because Cupid can be a bit impressionable, but I guess I've gotten more confident too.  

So until the air quality improves, that's about all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment