Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Winter blues

I know it's not really winter yet, but it sure does feel like it!  It rained last Friday and Saturday, and then we set the clock back on Sunday so now it's pretty much dark by the time I leave work.  Luckily we have the nice lighted, covered arena but bringing Cupid in from the pasture is no fun in the dark.  I think I need to get a headlamp. I got Cupid a new blanket, which is thicker and has a neck piece.  Thankfully it hasn't been that cold yet but at least we're prepared.  Here he is after I brought him in after a little rain.

Despite the change in weather Cupid has been very well behaved and progressing nicely with his training.  He is still a lot more stiff to the left, but is starting to bend a little.  We are also getting the canter leads correct the majority of the time, though the left is still harder.

Cupid is maintaining pretty good weight.  He is a little skinny at the ribs and his belly is a little round, but overall for a growing young thoroughbred he looks pretty good.  He really enjoys his grain, but he makes a mess!  He likes to stick his nose in the pan and shove the grain out, but he cleans it up in the end.  When he is done he often picks his feed tub up and holds it in his mouth and waves it towards me, like he's asking for a refill!  I haven't been able to catch that on film yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment