Monday, December 7, 2015

New Toy

We've had some very cold days.  According to my thermometer, some mornings have been in the low 30s.  Since it is supposed to be a very wet winter, I decided to move Cupid into a stall for the winter.  He will still go out to the pasture with his buddies during the daytime.  I got some toys to keep him from getting bored.

I was out of town for a few days, and my trainer suggested he ride Cupid while I was away.  I was hesitant because he hadn't ridden Cupid before and I wanted to be there the first time.  In the end I relented, though I was a little anxious.  I didn't want Cupid to be confused, or punished for something I inadvertently have trained him to do!  But it sounds like things went pretty well.  Our trainer said he focused mainly on riding with more contact and getting Cupid to accept it, since I have a bad habit of riding with open hands and loose reins.
When I came back I tried to focus on my hands and arms.  Cupid did seem soft, we had some nice moments.  But I have been riding incorrectly for a very long time so it is going to be hard for me to change!


No comments:

Post a Comment