Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Healing

Cupid has been slowly healing and thankfully has not had any setbacks thus far.  Over the past 2 weeks the wound gradually filled in with granulation tissue.  Over the last few days it started looking like it's closing up.  I don't know for sure whether we will have to cauterize it or not.

Cupid has continued being a good patient, but does run around and buck when I let him out.  He really wants friends to play with!  If he sees other horses across the fence he will run along the fence and buck or rear up in front of them to try to get them to play!  Most horses ignore him, but every once in a while he gets one to run along the fence on the other side and I think it makes him happy!  
Look at me!  Look how much fun I'm having!  Come play with me!!

Wheee!!!
 
Finally someone will play with me!!
I've gotten on him just to walk around a few times.  Two days ago when I did he was very nervous.  It was a little windy, but I'm not sure if that's why.  We were on a little trail he'd been down a hundred times before.  I could tell he was getting a little anxious, then he started prancing a little and I tried asking him to bend one way then another to get his focus back.  He was just getting worse, then he started popping up a bit on his front legs (hardly an inch) - I decided to just get off and walk him.  But he was spooky and nervous and just chomping on the bit.  I did some groundwork exercises, and he did them but he was not happy.  Every time he got silly I would turn him and walk him the other way, but he just would not relax.  I spent about 45 minutes trying to get him to settle.  I'm still not sure why he was so nervous.

Last week I had a lesson on a different horse.  It felt strange, but it was definitely good for me!  The horse was very nice, and also a little lazy.  But I was a little nervous because I haven't ridden a horse other than Cupid in a while, and I just didn't know what to expect.  This horse was a lot bigger than Cupid, turning him was very different so I had to adjust.  We just did basic walk/trot/canter, and by the end of it I was starting to get used to him a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment