Saturday, February 3, 2018

Trail Ride in Huddart Park

It's been a few weeks since we've done a trail ride, and with the weather being as nice as it's been I made plans to meet with my trail buddy.  Cupid was good loading, but a little anxious while I was tacking him up tied to the trailer.  We were parallel to a busy highway, I'm not sure if he was reacting to the noisy traffic. 

We started alone, up the road to my friend's barn.  Cupid was looking around a little, but being good.  We passed by all sorts of mailboxes and gates, pastures with horses in them, stepped up and down curbs, etc. no problem.  Then we met up with my friend, who was riding a horse and ponying another.  They are both mares, and give Cupid dirty looks if he gets too close but he actually was being very good and not doing anything annoying.  Cupid was more relaxed following behind the other horses, and we walked on a loose rein most of the ride.

We did our first creek crossing.  Cupid looked at it, but followed the other horses through.  Luckily there wasn't too much water in it.  I still think we might have a problem with rushing water, but it was good to get a little experience.  He has always been very good with bridges though.  We passed several hikers and joggers, and  few other horses uneventfully.  We rode for about two hours.  We were under the trees in the shades most of the time, and just walked, but the horses were all very sweaty by the end. 

No better place than under the redwoods on a sunny day!

We crossed several little bridges

Tired
Something I never would have thought to look for, but am happy to have: a water tank in the trailer
Cupid always seems happy to go back home, and has a little prance in his step when I walk him into the barn, and then out to the pasture.  I imagine he likes to tell his buddies about his adventures.  He also apparently still had a little energy left because he tried to get the other horses to play with him, but they were not interested so he settled down to eat instead.
Happy to be home






2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. Wunderlich is one of my favorite places to ride. I've never been to Huddart because the drive in is a bit difficult, but it looks very similar. I need to go there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you in on my secret: I park in front of NCEFT and then ride up Raymundo (Runnymede dead ends into it). No parking hassle!

      Delete