Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Greenville Dressage Show, Day 1

I took Cupid for a walk and finished braiding his mane (I did the actual braids at our home barn in the morning but didn't roll them up, and still needed to do his forelock.)  Then he hung out in his stall for a few hours, contentedly eating his hay.

I changed into my show clothes and tacked up with about half an hour to warm up for our first test.  Warm up was in a large covered arena, which was fortunate since it was in the mid-90s.  Cupid was well behaved during warm-up, but felt a little stiff.  After about 10 minutes walking we trotted around the arena and did circles and loops to try to get some bend going.  We did a little leg yielding and transitions to make sure he is responding to my leg.  We cantered to the left only, and continued having problems picking up that lead.  We had problems our last lesson too and I didn't think it was something we can fix in this one warm up so I decided not to worry too much about that right now, we'll just try our best. 
Warm up, not sure what I'm looking at
The tests kind of went by in a blur so I'll have to wait until I get the video to watch back and see what actually happened!  In Test 1 we didn't get the left lead first ask, but there were no other major mistakes and I felt good about it overall.  We got pretty much straight 6s, except a 5 for the left lead canter and a 7 for the halts and walk.  We also got a 7 for gaits, and 6s for impulsion and submission for I think the first time.  I got 6s for the rider scores, with a comment that I need to soften my elbows and sit up... yeah I know I've been working on it but judging by the pictures I failed miserably!  But we finally achieved my super modest goal of breaking 60, lol. 

We had about half an hour until Test 2.  I didn't want to overdo it, especially since it was so hot.  I got off and let Cupid have a drink in his stall (and for me too!), then we stood in the shade for a little bit.  I did about 10 minutes mostly walk and a little trot in the warm up before heading back.

Test 2 overall went about the same as the first.  Had to retry the left lead, but no other real mistakes. I wasn't quite as happy with the halts, we kind of ambled into the first one.  The scores were about the same, though we ended just a tick under 60. 
Blurry screenshot of our halt
I was happy with our transition going right
I was super happy with Cupid.  The correct expression isn't "I couldn't have asked for more" because I certainly could have, but that is on me not him.  He gave me everything I asked for, and a little more.  :) 
I didn't realize he was mugging, I wanted a nice elegant pictures with the pretty palm trees!
Just for fun, proof I suck at dressage.  Or as one previous dressage judge (diplomatically? or snarkily?) commented "Elegant hunt seat position":
Good lord, why can't I sit back?!?
At least here my elbows have some bend?

8 comments:

  1. That looks like a really pretty facility. I really struggle with sitting back in dressage too. Years of riding H/J will do that to you. I find I actually sit back more with my mule because she's so downhill I have to balance back. Levi is nicely uphill and I tend to just go with it and not sit myself back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun to meet you and Cupid! I'm glad your tests went well, congrats on hitting 60% :) the Mary Wanless stuff has helped me a TON with my position/effectiveness, her new book is a bit dense but it has a lot of great exercises. And she comes to ASH every year at the end of January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coach actually mentioned that today, hopefully I can go. The problem is I know it's wrong and I'm already trying to fix it, I just have 25 years of muscle memory working against me :/

      Delete
  3. Omg three cheers for the elegant hunt seat position!! Lol ;) congrats on breaking a 60 and feeling so happy with the tests! Those incremental steps of progress are everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that was probably the only time in my life I've ever been called elegant, too bad it was in the wrong context!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on hitting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a good show. It's hard to sit back. I have been riding dressage for a long time and if the mare is at all 'up' I want to lean forward and lighten my seat. :D

    ReplyDelete