Thursday, September 13, 2018

Extended Vacation

I was really excited to ride again when I got back from my trip.  Unfortunately I found Cupid with a loose, slightly twisted shoe!  :(  Big bummer.  Because of how the shoe was, I didn't really want to wrap it, and I don't have the tools to pull it off.  My old shoer showed me years ago, and I've done it a few times.  I considered keeping him in the stall, but he's much happier outside so I just hoped he wouldn't do too much damage.  I spent extra time grooming him.  He was very dusty, and is also shedding his summer coat.

The next day, as I expected, he had no shoe.  There was a bit of chipping but luckily not too bad.  I put a hoof boot on (currently experimenting with the Hoof Wraps Brand Bandage Kit, since the easy boot has been a bit hit or miss staying on) and we walked around the property for about 15 minutes.  It felt good to be back in the saddle, even briefly.  Afterwards I put Magic Cushion in his foot and wrapped it.  I left my shoer another message, hopefully he can come out ASAP!!

2 comments:

  1. The hoof wrap bandages are super useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially with a horse like Cupid, who has a special talent for pulling shoes and getting abscesses and sore feet! Though it's gotten a lot better...knock on wood

      Delete