Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Quiet Week

I haven't quite managed to get back in the swing of things since returning from vacation.  Cupid got his shoe replaced on Friday after I already went out in the morning, so I didn't ride him until Saturday.  Just a basic ride in the covered arena to knock the dust off.  He started off with a bit of energy, but was a little sticky moving off my leg in leg yields.  We also needed a few tries to get the left lead canter. 

On Sunday I had family visiting so I didn't ride, but did take them out to see Cupid.  He was happy to meet people and get carrots. 
Winter coat coming in, he's dark!
On Monday morning Cupid's left hind leg was a little puffy above the fetlock.  No heat and he didn't seem sensitive, body temperature normal.  I found the likely culprit, a very small and benign scrape on his fetlock.  (Oh, Cupid!)  I cleaned it and applied ointment and we did a light ride, just walk and trot for about half an hour in the covered arena.  The puffiness was gone afterwards.  However Tuesday morning it was puffy again.  No heat.  Since the light work seemed to help the day before, I saddled him up and we just walked around the property for about 20 minutes.  Sometimes Cupid is a bit looky when it's foggy, but today he was very good. 
Foggy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow he is dark, and handsome! Rio had a similar thing going on- a small nick on his hock and a puffy hock for a few days. Riding also helped the swelling go down and it has resolved on it's own thankfully. I hope Cupid's swelling has also resolved!

    ReplyDelete