Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Practice Makes Perfect

The lunge line lessons were quite helpful in letting me work on my position, but they unfortunately don't address one of my biggest flaws: ineffective use of my legs.  The breakthrough I made with the leg yield helped, and my next objective was to work on canter transitions.  I realized when I was focusing so hard on trying to maintain my seat in the saddle, keep my shoulders above my hips, and not raise my hands I was pretty much forgetting to use my legs.  Now some horses may be able to pick up a canter through your seat alone, but Cupid and I are not there yet!  So we've been spending a good amount of time working on our transitions.  Part of it is just me making sure I am organized before asking for it.  Also having a good quality trot - also practicing a bit of sitting trot which I haven't really been doing a lot of. 

In my last lesson I was worried I was getting a little too perfectionist about it, waiting too long before asking because I wanted it to be correct.  But my trainer said right now that is fine.  If we had a show coming up we would focus more on promptness, but we have the luxury of taking our time and learning it correctly.  So sit up, outside leg back a touch and a light squeeze, and if no response add the whip.  And wouldn't you know we got some pretty nice canter transitions!  The right is unsurprisingly better than the left, especially the second day in a row.  I had lessons on both Saturday and Sunday, since I'm out of town this week.  I think Cupid was a little tired on Sunday.  He was also anticipating the canter a bit, so while I was focusing on getting that good quality trot he was trying to rush into it.  So we went back to transitions between the walk and trot a bit until he settled and paid attention. 

We also did a bit more work with the German martingale.  Again the purpose of this is to help me achieve a more steady and consistent contact, since after 25 years of riding primarily hunters and trails I'm still somewhat apprehensive about.  But I can see and feel the difference with the martingale, it does give us the rounder "training level frame" judges keep commenting we lack.  I don't want to have to rely on it, but using it sparingly will let me get a feel for what I'm looking for, and allow Cupid to develop the correct muscles.  Though on Sunday, when Cupid was a bit tired, he was lugging down into it a bit and I was having to work the keep his poll up. 
Cupid is getting the next week off while I'm gone.  He'll get turned out every day so I'm not worried about him acting up when I get back (though I will miss riding him!)  He's been working hard, and has had a few days where he seemed to struggle a bit so I'm hoping the time off will be good for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment