Monday, April 1, 2019

Giraffe Dressage

I wish this was an April Fools post, but alas this is an actual show recap that happens to be on the first of April.

To set the stage, not too long ago I felt like we were making really good progress and I was optimistic about our upcoming shows.  Initially I even thought we might be ready to try First level, but realized we weren't quite there so I just signed up for one test one day.  The facility is one Cupid had always seemed to like and feel relaxed at.  The new Training 3 is easier, in my opinion, then the previous version.  I had high hopes.

Then we had a few not so good rides.  Cupid wasn't lame, but seemed a little uncomfortable.  We started having trouble with the left lead again, and then he became very resistant and cranky when I asked for it.  I called our chiropractor and scheduled an appointment, but unfortunately she's not available until this week.  So we took it easy, taking a few days off and doing in-hand work during our scheduled lesson.  The next several days we continued taking it easy.  Cupid got a few more days off, I rode him bareback for a walk around the property, and we did a short walk/trot ride which went okay. 

Last Thursday I decided to keep my lesson, and start with lunging so my trainer and I could watch him move.  He seemed okay on the lunge line so I got on him, and he was someone better but still resistant so I resigned myself to scratching from the show.  (I also tried out the Equicube, but that's a topic for a separate post!)  Of course being too stubborn and/or optimistic I tried him again on Friday, in my jump saddle to see if the slightly different weight distribution and ability to get off his back made a difference.  And he cantered both directions on the correct lead.  Saturday he seemed better still, so I decided to go ahead and go to the show.  A small abscess burst through his left front hoof!

So to recap, I went to our first show in about six months with Cupid being in irregular work leading up to it, when our dressage court has been closed because of the rain so we could only ride in the larger covered arena dodging jumps.  In hindsight I should have known this would be a disaster. :p

Cupid seemed calm when he got off the trailer at the show grounds, and contentedly ate his hay while I got us ready.  No looking around or whinnying at the other horses.  We walked to the warm up arena and he stood while I mounted.  Then a switch was flipped and he was ready to go, go go.  I tried all my usual tricks, after just a quick walk getting him trotting on a circle changing my posting diagonal.  Doing a little shoulder in, followed by putting my leg on and asking for a bigger trot.  Usually he settles within 10-15 minutes, but not this time.  So we cantered both directions, then went back to trot work.  We did some transitions between trot and walk.  I had given us 30 minutes to warm up, and at the end of it he hadn't really settled down any.  Not much I could do now just head to the show ring and hope for the best.

Cupid jigged around the arena as we waited for the last horse to walk out.  I tried doing some shoulder-ins and transitions as a last ditch effort to get him settled.  Then we trotted into the arena doing our best giraffe impression.  I was someone surprised to even get a halt at X, though it actually wasn't bad but I think we were off the centerline coming out of it.  I had planned to push the trot a bit on the diagonal, but decided not to when it felt like Cupid was ready to take off any moment.  And in fact in the next move, the serpentine, he did pick up a canter when we should have been trotting.  So I got him back down to a trot but he was very quick, and not showing any of the connection or change in bend we had been working on.

After that was the actual canter, now to the right first which is a change I was happy about.  Not surprisingly he picked up the canter right away, but was a little crooked coming out of the corner.  Our transition down to trot was a bit late, but then the walk work was actually decent.  I was hoping he would be a bit more relaxed coming out of it, but nope he was ready to go off again in a quick, high-headed trot, at least this time without cantering.  I was happy when we got the left lead canter.  Then down transition and actually a fairly decent stretchy trot.  Down the centerline to a decent halt.  Even though it was a bit of a disaster I gave Cupid a big pat and left the arena with a smile on my face.

The show did not go at all how I expected or hoped for, but the sun was shining, no one got hurt, and it's only a horseshow and somehow I just felt happy I am able to do this at all.  Our prep leading up to it was not ideal, but the main thing is I just need to continue working on what I've been working on: steady connection in the reins, staying upright in my body, and keeping my legs long and gently supporting without pinching at the knees even when Cupid is being a bit silly under me.  I let myself get tight and out of position, which is the opposite of what I need to do.

There is a schooling show in 2 weeks so we get to try again.  And maybe my trainer will be there to coach and give us tips so we're better prepared next time we're alone. 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for doing it! I wonder if the dressage saddle is pinching somewhere? I have done my share of giraffe dressage. It adds a little flair. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible, though the saddle fitter was out just a few weeks ago. I'll keep an eye on it though!

      Delete
  2. sorry it didn't go as planned but it sounds like you made the best of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, sounds like a positive outing despite it not going completely to plan :D

    ReplyDelete