Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sudden Change

Things have been quiet since the weather finally improved and BAM Cupid got an abscess.  It came on very suddenly, mid-ride!  I was finally going to do a jumping lesson, first one in almost a year.  We started warming up and everything seemed normal.  We picked up a canter, it felt good.  Then after about a lap all of the sudden I felt a change.  Subtle at first, Cupid kept going but the balance had changed.  We were on the right lead, and started going down the diagonal to change directions and as we were crossing the centerline and about to do a trot change he just felt clearly lame.  The left front, same as where an abscess burst recently (though he didn't go fully lame then just had some trouble picking up the left lead).

So our lesson ended before we got to jump.  I soaked his feet, and wrapped it with animalintex pads then epson gel for the next week.  He finally seems better, but unfortunately I am out of town on a work trip the next few days.  I am looking forward to riding when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. Abscesses are benign but they are really interfering with training!

    ReplyDelete