Monday, March 12, 2018

Clinic with Katie Hoefs-Martin

Dressage judge and grand prix rider Katie Hoefs-Martin had a clinic at my barn.  I was a little worried Cupid wouldn't be feeling up to it in time, but after a week off I had good rides on Saturday and Sunday and felt ready to go.  Our outdoor (dressage court) was also ready - it has been closed due to the rain.  Since I hadn't ridden in it lately I was worried Cupid would be spooky, but it ended up not being a problem.

I got on Cupid about 10 minutes before our ride time to start warming up, just walking around the arena to get loose and let him see everything.  Then Katie told me to just warm up as I normally would while she observes.  Is that a trick question??  I trotted some 20 meter circles and did some changes of direction on the diagonal.

During our ride we focused mainly on my outside rein connection (same as in my lessons, imagine that!).  Katie said I need to think about directing Cupid through his shoulders, not his nose and neck.  We did a lot of counterflexion to help with straightness.  Then Katie hopped on Cupid and said she can see why I keep losing his shoulders.  After a few minutes Cupid looked transformed.

Katie, who is this horse and what have you done with Cupid??
He looked like this a few minutes ago
My hands have minds of their own.  My inside hand usually drifts inside, and tries to use a direct rein to keep Cupid on the circle.  My outside hand will just let the rein go slack, and occasionally cross over the neck.  And my right hand will always be either/both half open or twisting into "piano hands."  So Katie told me to think about having my inside hand down by Cupid's shoulder, and my outside hand a few inches out.  (Obviously exaggerations and not what I actually want long run, but just something to think about to get my hands where they should be.)  I fix it, but a few strides later they start wandering again - it's a work in progress!

Then Katie told me to increase the contact and just hold it steady, and keep my leg on.  Silly as it sounds, it's a foreign concept to me.  I've never ridden any of my horses with that much contact.  But Cupid responded without much fuss, quickly dropping his nose.  I could be way off, but I would estimate it to about 3 lbs pressure in the reins.We drifted in and out of it a few times, but again, progress. 
Ok, looking better (I just need to sit up. And bring my lower leg forward)
Then it was time for some canter work.  Again we struggled with the left lead, not getting it our first several tries.  Katie said this goes back to controlling his shoulders - I need to keep his inside shoulder light.  I normally make my circle smaller and ask for the canter as I leg yield back out.  Katie suggested the opposite - stay on the circle, counterflex, and leg yield in as I ask.  This method wasn't foolproof (due to pilot error I'm sure), but we did get it twice.  Hopefully seeing the chiro on Thursday will help too!

Overall I really enjoyed riding with Katie, and felt like Cupid and I took a small step forward in our dressage journey.  Though then I was a little confused, is this how I should ride Cupid from now on??  And should have been riding him all along??  I had a brief chat with my trainer after, she said don't worry we won't get there in one lesson and has a plan on how to slowly incorporate everything.  Now if I could just get my darned body under control!

3 comments:

  1. that sounds like a great lesson!! i never used to really carry any real contact in the reins either, and it felt really strange when trainers were like, 'uh, yea but you have to.' haha. it's eye opening tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't we have learned correctly to begin with?! Of course a lot of my early riding was trail riding and vaulting, so I either had zero contact, or zero reins at all!

      Delete
  2. Niko is the first horse I've had who likes more contact, and it was REALLY foreign to me at first, but now I've got the hang of it. Of course, since he's green that now means things must change LOL

    ReplyDelete