Sunday, April 1, 2018

Greenville Dressage Show

Saturday morning I work up at 4:30 and headed out to the barn.  I gave Cupid some food to keep him busy while I braided his mane, which worked well to keep him still.  I still need more practice, especially with the forelock, but I think it turned out ok.  Sectioning the hair last night did help speed up the process a little.  It was still dark when I loaded Cupid at 6.  I turned the truck lights on and had my phone flashlight, and luckily Cupid loaded easily and we arrived at the show a little over an hour later without incident.

For once we managed to arrive early and didn't have to rush!  Cupid seemed pretty relaxed right off the trailer.  We tacked up with just under half an hour until our first test and headed to the warm up in the covered arena.  Cupid was behaving great!  He whinnied once to answer another horse, but otherwise was very focused and not distracted.  (Maybe being in a covered helps since that's where we ride most often.)  We warmed up primarily trotting on a large circle, with some smaller circles and shoulder-out sprinkled in.  We cantered to the right first.  Then to the left, still some trouble getting that lead but I praised Cupid when we got it.  Then we were called to the ring, where there was an additional warm up area.  I was told I have a few minutes if I want it, but felt ready to head in.

We started trotting around the outside of the court.  I moved his shoulders a little to get him focused and soft.There is a large hedge around it, but luckily nothing behind the hedge that distracted Cupid.  I said my number as I rode by the judge's booth (Cupid didn't even bat an eye, yay!), and the judge or scribe said good luck.  But I wasn't sure if I was still waiting for a bell or whistle, lol.  So I lapped around again and heard the bell.

Our first test was Training 1.  I tried to make sure we had some energy coming down the centerline.  Our halt felt good.  The test is simple: start to the left, trot circle, canter circle, walk, change direction at free walk, then trot circle and canter circle to the right.  Unfortunately we did not get the left lead, at all, but no other major mistakes.  We got straight 6's except a 4 for the left lead, and a funny comment about how it's great we're starting our dressage training and need to improve connection in the bridle for higher scores.  I know we still have things to work on, but I was very happy with Cupid.

We had over an hour until our second test, so I took Cupid back to the trailer and took his bridle off but left his saddle on with the girth loosed.  In the past he's been a bit cranky about having to go twice, so I thought leaving the saddle on might let him know he's not done.  Cupid was content to stand and eat hay.

I got back on about 15 minutes before my second test in the covered warmup.  Cupid felt super relaxed, like he usually is at home.  We kept the warmup easy, a little trotting then just walking.  The second test felt even better than the first!  Since Cupid was so relaxed I was able to focus a little more on sitting up straighter and trying to push Cupid into the bridle a bit more.  We were able to get the left lead on the second try.  This was the first time Cupid wasn't too distracted at a show to stretch down in his stretchy trot circle.  I was ecstatic with how he felt!
Even though we haven't yet cracked 60% at a rated show, each time feels better and my confidence is increasing.  Last year I wasn't sure if Cupid would ever get over his nervousness being in new places, but all the trips we've gone on have paid off.  I'm still trying to break my habits from hunt seat riding.  I know he would be further along with a more skilled rider, but I am loving this journey that we are on together and I couldn't ask for a better partner than him! 

3 comments:

  1. That’s awesome! What a good feeling to have at the show! Congrats on figuring out how to unlock that relaxed feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on having a good show and a ribbon on top of that!

    ReplyDelete