Thursday, April 12, 2018

Idle Hands

The last few rides have been a little frustrating for me as I work to become a proper dressage rider.  My upper body has gotten a lot better, which has even helped me while jumping, and even my elbows are somewhat bent now, but my hands are still a mess.  It's very hard to change something I've been doing for over 25 years now!!  I do have a weakness in my right hand so keeping it closed is physically more difficult for me, but that doesn't explain the swiveling wrists or the floating inside or up the neck.  My trainer finally suggested I plant my hand on Cupid's neck and get a feel for a really steady connection.  This did help, and succeeded in getting Cupid rounder.  Interestingly I didn't need as much pressure as I thought, it just needs to be more steady.  So Cupid was using himself really nicely when it felt like I had about 1 lb pressure in the reins, and I thought I needed ~3 to achieve that (total guesses on what 1 vs 3 lbs feels like though).

Today I tried putting a strap through the D-rings on my saddle, so I could hold that as a guide for my hands.  However it was very hard to shorten the reins while holding the strap, and like I said I have a week hand and my reins do tend to gradually get long so I eventually gave up.  But I'll keep it on my saddle for now because it might help as an occasional reminder.

The only bright side through all this has been what a trooper Cupid was.  We did two trot sets today, one about 15 minutes and the other nearly 20 and Cupid was steady, focused, and eager throughout.  I feel bad that he has to suffer through this with me, but his attitude has been great.  He used to get a little balky or cranky sometimes when he thought he's done enough.  I have a trail ride planned for Saturday which will hopefully refresh us both!

1 comment:

  1. positional changes are always so much harder to make than we might expect! keep it up tho!

    ReplyDelete