Saturday, April 14, 2018

Trail Horse Extrodinaire

It's been several weeks since Cupid and I have been on a trail ride, but with sunny weather forecasted for this weekend I made arrangements to go with my friend.  We couldn't have picked a nicer day, as it was sunny and 70s! 

As has been the case recently, Cupid came off the trailer very relaxed.  I tacked him up at the trailer and headed up the road to meet my friend.  This involves riding along the road, but it's a quiet road where lots of horses walk so the drivers tend to be very courteous.  Cupid responded to a horse the whinnied at him from a pasture, but kept walking along calmly.  No problem either walking by people doing yardwork, trash cans, grates, and stepping from dirt paths to crossing driveways, and going up and down the curb.

We met up with our friend and headed into Huddart Park.  Unfortunately the trail we got on was a bit rough, but we accepted it as a training challenge.  There was piles of trimmed off tree branches across the trail.  My friend asked if Cupid would cross it, I said I wasn't sure but he handled it like a pro!  He also stood quietly while my friend broke off part of a dead branch and dragged it out of the way.  Finally we made it to a wider, better groomed but still interesting trail.  Cupid stepped down some banks, crossed a few flowing creeks, and didn't bat an eye at a group of wild turkeys crossing in front of us.  Even when my friend's horse was a little fussy (after having not been out in over a week) Cupid stayed relaxed.  We even led for the last part.  Cupid is still a little bit more tentative being in front, but was a total champ.  I could not have been prouder, or had a better day! 


Enjoying a little grass after the ride, before we head back home

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely ride! Cupid sounds like such a gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is! It's a shame so many people think OTTBs are crazy, they are missing out!

      Delete