Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Importance of Turnout

Cupid is usually turned out from about 9-3:30, in a large field with a few other geldings.  I don't know if he'd be the same easy horse without it!!  Yesterday I rode him in the morning, and then he saw the dentist and spent the rest of the day inside because he'd been sedated.  Saturday morning I was going to go see him around 8, though I was planning to give him the day off.  But then I thought since I'm always rushing off in the morning it would be nice to actually have breakfast with my boyfriend for once, so I didn't get to the barn until about 10:30.  I was very surprised to see Cupid in his stall, I forgot I put a no turnout sign on his door!!  Oops!!  Cupid was super excited when I led him towards the pasture.  He wasn't pulling, but was prancing a bit and wasn't even interested in stopping for grass.  Then when I let him out this happened.


Play with me!

Whee!!
Practicing the stretchy trot














Lol.  He tries to get the other horses to play with him, but they mostly just ignore his antics and he quickly gives up.  I'm kind of worried what will happen when we do an away show and he can't get turned out!!!

1 comment:

  1. aww what a goofy playful guy!! and yea agreed, turnout is so so so good for them. charlie can be sensible about needing stall rest or whatever (unlike some other ponies i know haha) but he's really just so much happier and healthier in mind and body when he gets a lot of turnout

    ReplyDelete