Friday, July 13, 2018

Keeping it Clean

Well two days later that fly sheet isn't looking so white anymore!! 
I've been cleaning Cupid's wound every day - squirting chlorhexidine with a syringe then Neosporin.  It's a little sensitive to the touch, but he's been a good boy about it and it doesn't seem to affect him much otherwise.  It's on his hip so I can't wrap it, but I've been taping gauze over it to keep it clean and that's also why he's been wearing the fly sheet, to help keep the gauze in place.  I don't have the good elasticon just some cheap sticky medical tape from Walgreens, but surprisingly it has stayed in place.
Redneck medicine
We had a super lesson today!  I started off... rough.  We were in the outdoor, and Cupid was perfect last time but this time he decided that something on one long side was going to eat him.  So we started a 20m circle, with 10m circles on the spooky side to make him focus.  I was feeling pretty no-nonsense today and a bit firmer than usual.  It took less than 10 minutes before Cupid decided it was no big deal anymore, and the rest of the lesson went really well. 

We had probably our best canter work to date, continuing the exercise of doing the 20m circle with some 10m circles inside.  I don't think we've ever cantered a 10m circle, but it felt balanced.  All that work turning off the outside rein is paying off!  The right is still our better side but the difference isn't as obvious. 

We finished with trot work that included between a small circle to shoulder in, straighten to a big medium trot, and a slight outward bend with a slight (or just feeling of) leg yield.  It's starting to come together! 

2 comments:

  1. I can’t get my fly sheet to look that clean fresh out of the washing machine. It has turned a permanent greige. I hope the wound continues to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I think Charlie would fall down and die if I tried to get him to canter a 10m circle lol

    ReplyDelete