Friday, July 20, 2018

Mini Trail Ride and Lessons

It's been a few weeks since we've hit the trails, so I was hoping to go out last weekend.  Unfortunately my usual trail riding buddy wasn't available, and I didn't want to go out alone (just in case!)  So instead I invited one of my barn mates for a hack around our own property.  It was a nice sunny day, and we had a good time walking around while chatting.  I also found someone else at my barn who might be interested in going trail riding.  She said her horse has experience but it's been a few years, but he's usually as good as his company which is the same for Cupid.
There's the ocean under a layer of fog
Our rides have been going well.  We had two lessons this week.  In our dressage lesson we were doing shoulder-in on a circle, then straightening (still on the circle) into a bigger trot.  I wasn't really getting it at first and my trainer pointed out that I was collapsing through my ribcage.  Once I corrected that, I still couldn't feel as much bend/displacement of the shoulders that I was seeking (it's hard for me to feel it on a circle!) but when I straightened I could feel a huge improvement in the trot - it felt much lighter.  My trainer said right now that's what we're looking for. 

Our canter work also felt pretty good, though going to the left Cupid still has a tendency to break into a trot.  It tends to happen in the same spots around the arena, I think where the footing is a bit deeper, so sometimes I can anticipate it and try to keep him going but today I was surprised because the canter felt really good, not behind the leg.  I'm a bit worried because the Training 3 test has a longer canter to the left (of course!)  My trainer said I need to be a bit more firm telling him that is incorrect.  Usually I just curse under my breath, reorganize, and eventually ask for the canter again - she said I need to tap-tap with the whip right away, even if I take a moment after to reorganize before asking again. 

We also had a "jump" lesson.  Our course was actually just trotting over trot poles, picking up a canter and going over some cavaletti (trot changes after the cavaletti if we don't land on the correct lead), then back to a trot for a little 1' crossrail.  I enjoy these little courses when I'm not worried about the actual jumps!  I can just focus on straightness and getting to the base of the jumps.  My trainer said my eye is getting better - I don't know about that but I do feel more secure.
New shoes

3 comments:

  1. Cupid is coming along so well. I would love to go trail riding with you but I suspect that the commute is too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love focusing on ground poles and cavaletti too - such a great way to work on the technical details without a lot of wear and tear on the horse. and esp bc as far as i'm concerned, ground poles are harder to get right bc the horse isn't really gonna care if they split their legs over them or whatever lol -- we have to get it right ourselves to make it work. it's a nice way to keep us honest as riders!

    ReplyDelete