Friday, July 18, 2014

Lesson Horse

Cupid and I had our first lesson with our trainer today. I wasn't planning on doing lessons yet, so we can get to know each other without that added pressure, but we were short on school horses. I told me trainer I wasn't sure if I was ready, and it was kind of like bringing a guy home to meet your parents on a third date. She laughed and said she's already ridden Cupid (when we first tried him out) so she knows what he can do. I was still a little reluctant but tacked him up. I must have been nervous because I put a saddle pad on upside down - whoops! The lesson went pretty well. Cupid was very good, we worked on smooth halt/walk/trot transitions and shortening and lengthening the stride at a trot and he is much more in tune to my seat then I expected. We also went over ground poles. At the end of the lesson we had our first canter. Altough we missed the lead the first time on each side (at least he's not one-sided, right??) it was fun and he has a really bounding, rocking-horse canter.

No comments:

Post a Comment