Friday, October 27, 2017

Fixing my Arms and Hands

We had a flatwork lesson on Thursday.  My instructor has been on my case for a long time about how my inside hand still likes to do a leading rein.  She thinks I forget that Cupid is not a green 3 year old who needs it anymore; in truth I don't even realize I'm doing it.  So in sheer frustration I help my whip in both hands, horizontal over Cupid's withers under both thumbs.  Now my hands are locked together so the inside one can't go floating towards the center!  As an added bonus it prevents me from twisting at my right wrist, another bad habit of mine.  I need a catchy name for this, on par with T-rex arms!  Whip hands?  Sorry it's the best I can think of.

We had been riding on a 20 meter circle, alternating an outward bend, then switching back to an inside bend and doing a 10 meter circle.  It was in the 10 meter circle that I was really having the inside rein problems which led to the whip hands.  So I did the whip hands and my trainer said great idea!  I told her I didn't think I could do a 10 meter circle with whip hands, so we just aimed for going from a 20 meter circle to a "smaller circle".  It did feel pretty weird, and was hard to maintain the circle.  But I guess this is what it should feel like if I'm actually using the outside rein?
Trying to emulate the proper position (but my elbows are still too forward)

We then practiced trot-canter transitions with the whip hands.  Cupid was still a touch behind the leg, though after a few he started anticipating them. 

On Friday I tacked up in my jumping saddle for a group lesson with one other rider, to add a little variety for Cupid.  We ended up doing flatwork the majority of the lesson except a few minutes of trot poles on the end, but I'm still trying to nail down those transitions.  I did a bit more of the whip hands.  Cupid seemed a little tired (or maybe was just ignoring me, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt), so we had a few where he just starting trotting super fast so we regrouped and tried again.  But we had a few good ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment