Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Gratuitous Praise

Cupid and I have primarily been working on firming up the basics.  Forwardness, stepping through, and lifting his back for him, and correct seat, lengthening my legs, and keeping my hands closed and soft steady contact for me, and prompt transitions for both of us.  We are trying to ride in the outdoor dressage ring at least once a week (while the weather allows us), and jump once a week.  Overall it feels like things are going well, and it's hard to feel a difference day to day but over time we are making progress.

I am a little worried Cupid might have stomach/ulcer issues, and/or some body soreness.  He has been a little girthy lately.  He used to be great if I tightened on the left and just a little glance back when I tightened on the right side, but now he kind of glares at me either side.  Also after one of our rides I was giving him a little neck massage and felt a big knot, a few inches below his poll.  I could move it side to side, and it kind of clicked into place.  I called the chiropractor, but unfortunately she is traveling and won't be able to see him a few weeks.  She recommended a few massage therapist I've been trying to get a hold of, it looks like one might be able to come out next week. 

We had a funny moment during a lesson where we had been trotting for a few minutes, and Cupid started groaning.  I call it his old man noises.  At first I kind of laughed at him, he was moving nicely and listening to me so I wasn't concerned.  But then he became even more dramatic.  It felt like he was letting me know that he thought we had been trotting an awful long time, and I should appreciate his effort.  So I started patting him extra heartily and saying "good boy!"  Immediately his ears pricked up and he kept trotting with a little extra pep in his step and neck a little rounder, like he was really proud of himself.  He just wanted me to acknowledge how hard he was working!  So now I try to make sure I do praise him more when he's good, and let him know I appreciate him.  It seems to make him happy.

Our last jump lesson felt really good.  We haven't jumped since the show, about two weeks, and I felt a little rusty the first few warm up jumps.  But Cupid was being perfect, so I was soon able to relax.  We built up a gymnastic exercise.  First just a crossrail, one stride to a pole, and halt after.  Our halt was much better this time then the last time we did jump to halt.  We ended with a crossrail, one stride to a crossrail, one stride to a vertical.  I was very happy with how relaxed Cupid was, and it allowed me to focus on myself.  My main focus was on not letting my leg swing back.  I also worked on my release, and sitting up after each jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment