Monday, February 19, 2018

Delta-Sierra Chapter Competition Clinic with David Ventura

On Saturday I took Cupid to the Delta-Sierra Chapter Competition Clinic, where we rode Training test 2 for judge David Ventura, then spent half an hour working with him.




















The clinic was just over 2 hours away, the furthest I've trailered Cupid, but luckily was uneventful and we had no issues loading.  We arrived, checked in, and I tacked up.  Cupid seemed fairly relaxed.  We found an empty arena, and walked around a few times each direction before picking up a trot.  I started on some 20 meter circles, then went around the arena with a few circles added in.  I did a few changes of my posting diagonal to keep him balanced, but Cupid wasn't trying to get quick.  We did a quick left lead canter, getting the correct lead our second try.

I thought it was time to go to the covered arena, where the clinic was held, but they weren't quite ready.  There was another arena by it so we went in there - the more new arenas we go in the better!

Then it was our turn to go in the covered arena.  Just as we walked in some birds flew out from the rafters, spooning Cupid!  Luckily that was the only time we heard the birds.

I was happy with how our test went, though Cupid was a little tense and above the bit.  We actually did get the left lead first ask, but unfortunately broke a few strides in.  Maybe I looked down to see if we were correct, or Cupid just got distracted by the stack of hay bales next to us and I didn't have my leg on, I'm not sure.  I asked right away for the canter again, we got the right lead so I did another trot change.  So we got dinged here, but the judge commented good job staying on track and good geometry through it.  Our other mistake was not really stretching in our stretchy trot circle - thus is Cupid's best move at home but he doesn't do it when he's nervous.  I thought the rest of the test went well, though later the judge told me we were more on the forehand the second half, which I hadn't noticed. (But that is why I was there, to learn!)

David started our session at the halt,  adjusting me into a correct position.  He held his hand behind me, and told me to lean back until I felt his hand, and that is where I should be.  He said I have a nice, balanced seat but I ride very much like a hunter rider.   I should ride from seat, to leg, to hand not the other way around.  Not surprisingly, he zeroed in on my elbows as the biggest problem area.

We started off at the walk, on a 20 meter circle tracking right.  David frequently reminded me about my elbows, and also to give through my elbows instead of opening my hand.  He said that if I want to increase the walk I need to cue when Cupid's leg just leaves the ground; so for his inside hind leg that's when the walk pushes my hips forward.  He said I was overbending Cupid through his neck to the right, resulting in Cupid not bending through his back properly.
It felt like my elbows were way back, but it looks like they're still too forward! :(

We started our trotwork on the circle, trying to maintain the correct posture.  Then we went around the arena and did some long diagonals.  We ended with a little leg yielding, which is the exercise David recommended for helping put Cupid into my outside rein (going from quarter line to rail).  Everything David said I've heard from my trainer before, and know I need to work on.  But the clinic was a great experience, and has given me new motivation to continue forward and keep working at it.
Probably saying: bend your %$*#ing elbows!!!  More!!

 

Tired pony!

He worked up quite a sweat!

Spongebath
During lunch David gave an interesting lecture on confirmation, and someone from Delta-Sierra made the most delicious fudgey brownies.  This was a super nice group of people, very welcoming, and put on a well organized event.  Cupid was very good hanging out at the trailer, eating hay.  After lunch we walked over to the cows to let Cupid take a look, but he was very unconcerned about them.  Good to know in case we encounter them on a ride, or maybe even try our hand at cow sorting some day!  Cupid loaded without problem, and we headed on the long drive back tired but happy.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good experience! I've done a similar clinic where I ride the test then the judge gives us a lesson on it. Very useful!! Awesome that Cupid was so good for everything too

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun clinic! I totally want to do one of these one day. Sometimes I would try to set it up just in a lesson with my old trainer (who is an S judge), but she couldn't keep her mouth shut enough to let me get through the whole test usually lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try one of these clinics. I wish there were closer ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The long drive was made even longer when my GPS somehow redirected us coming home, instead of 580 to the San Mateo bridge I somehow wound up in Fremont and circling down around the bay! Poor Cupid.

      Delete
  4. What a fun clinic! I have always wanted to do one of those where you ride a test and get a lesson after. I'm glad Cupid got right into the trailer :).

    I can totally sympathize with you on the elbow thing - I tend to lock my elbows and get stiff and rigid.....gee, wonder my horse is also stiff and rigid haha. But it sounds like you had an educational experience and were given lots of good tips :)

    ReplyDelete