Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Jumping into 2019

I can't believe it's 2019 already, 2018 went by way too fast!  On January 1 I got to the barn early, and had the arena to myself.  Our last few rides had felt really good, so I decided to ride in my jumping saddle - just start with some flatwork and see where it goes from there.  After a light warm up we started trotting over some poles, throwing in a few halts after.  Then we cantered a circle over a single pole on the right lead.  That felt good, so we trotted into and went through a little grid, coming to a halt after.  Cupid was soft and quiet through the grid, and came to a halt but was a little squirmy holding it for a few seconds. 

My confidence was pretty high, so I picked up the canter and pointed Cupid at the coop jump.  It's only 2', but we haven't jumped it before, nor anything solid in quite a while.  Although I had a moment of doubt a few strides out, I closed my legs and Cupid hit it perfect and smoothly sailed over, and came to a halt when I asked a few strides later!  I was happy with that, so we left the arena and had a nice cool down walk around the property. 

First time over this coop
Grid
This was a great way to start the new year, and I'm really excited about continuing our progress! 

Reservoir I pass on my drive to the barn

2 comments: