Friday, June 12, 2020

Refuge

Riding has always been an outlet for me, but now more than ever the barn has become a place of refuge.  A bit of peace in a very crazy world. 
Cupid and I have been making some progress in our dressage.  As I've been focusing so much on trying to get him more round, I felt like I was starting to lose a little bit of the forward-ness.  So our last ride, and then lesson today, we revisted lengthenings.  Also in our lesson today we played with a bit of counter canter, doing shallow loops off the rail.  I was very surprised to find it was easier, and felt smoother, going left.  Going right I didn't feel like we were bending as well, and we also broke to the trot once. 

Cupid and I have been jumping about once a week.  This little grid was set in the arena.  Unfortunately our first time through was the best, our few subsequent attempts felt a bit disorganized. 
 Our barn created a little jumping field on grass outside!  So far Cupid and I have only gone over the trot poles and stadium jumps, but the coops and fake wall (that we've already jumped in the ring) are also out there, along with a (very!) skinny panel.  So far Cupid has been very good, and I think having this will be good for my confidence.  I can go out there and just do as much or little as I feel comfortable with on any given day, and won't feel bad about "wasting" a schooling trip.

We've also gone out to Huddart Park twice for trail rides since it's reopened.  There have definitely been more hikers then usual, but everyone has been good about sharing the trails and for the most part people seem happy to see horses. 

The weather continues to be all over the map.  We had some grey/misty days, a few really hot days (which we took as an opportunity for a bath), and today is quite windy.  Cupid came out maybe a little tight in his shoulders today but warmed up out of it.  Overall he has been looking really great!
Fed Cupid under the trees, since it was cooler than in the barn!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a lovely mix of schooling. The weather is all over the map. Yesterday it started cool and misty and then ended up sunny and hot.

    ReplyDelete