Thursday, November 9, 2017

Tantrum

Since Cupid's shoe got pulled, he got a few extra days off until the shoer was able to come back out.  At least it was pretty cold; not being able to ride in nice weather is worst!  I did put an easy boot on for a little walk around the property, but that was it for a whole week.  And I did get lessons on two of my trainer's horses.  I was a little nervous riding new horses, but they were good.  Both of them were a little lazy, on one I had to work pretty hard to keep him cantering.
Wrapping the hoof with Vetwrap or gauze wrap seems to help the Easyboot stay on.

Cupid got his shoe back on Monday, and on Tuesday we had a lesson.  I was worried he would be a little full of it after a week off, but he was great!  Actually he started out a little lazy but worked out of it.  We just did walk/trot, but the trot work felt very good and Cupid start getting a little round.
New saddle pad to go with the new saddle

On Wednesday we just did a little hack.  I rode in the new saddle without a pad to help with the breaking in.  I am still very happy with the saddle!

On Thursday I had a group lesson with 2 of my trainer's other students.  Again Cupid started out lazy so I spent the beginning trying to wake him up, but I was glad he was relaxed working with the other horses.  We did a lot of trot work, and he felt like he was finally working through.  Then we took a long walk break while my trainer worked with each of the other riders individually for a bit.  When it was our turn, Cupid was done.  He would not go forward at all, he would just balk, or kick out, or back up.  I tried asking him to go but he resisted.

The extent of his protest concerned me, I thought maybe he really was hurting from the abscess still or the saddle wasn't fitting or something.  But he had felt sound, and I got off and checked and reset the saddle and it seemed fine.  So I made him go, as gently as possible but insistent.  Once he got going he was good.  We did a few trot-canter transitions, and he got the left lead each time.

I thought that maybe I shouldn't have walked for so long; if I kept him more engaged we probably wouldn't have had a problem.  But on the other hand this is a problem we need to work through; I didn't ask for anything unfair and Cupid doesn't get to decide he is done.  I suspected this was an issue at some of our shows but wasn't sure and haven't had the opportunity to address it.  At least this form of tantrum is far preferable to a bucking fit!  Hopefully today was a step in the right direction, and Cupid realized that 1) he can't get out of work so easily; and 2) even if I do make him work it's not that bad!
Tired pony after our lesson


No comments:

Post a Comment