Sunday, November 12, 2017

When he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's horrid

We were planning on going for a trail ride on Friday, but it was raining so we decided to do a little jumping instead.  A little variety so Cupid doesn't get bored!

We warmed up trotting in two-point, then did some shallow loop serpentines.  We warmed up the canter then trotted over a pole, then made it 2 poles, then 3.  Then we jumped a little crossrail a few times each direction, trotting in and cantering out.  We started going to the right, and the first two times Cupid landed on his left lead (surprising since usually he prefers the right), but got it correct the third time.  We haven't jumped in a while, but he was relaxed.

There was an accident on the road, we could see and hear the sirens and bullhorn directing traffic.  I was a little distracted, but Cupid didn't care.  So we went on and did a little course: one jump on each long diagonal, then the third jump was on the centerline so we completed the diagonal and around the short side, halfway down the long side then turn down the middle and a left hand turn to the jump.  They were all small crossrails, probably about 1'.  I felt a little rusty, and we got a few long spots when I didn't sit up before the jump, but we got it the third time through.  I was happy with our ride, and had fun doing the little jumps.
New rain sheet with hood, from Jeffers

I gave Cupid Saturday off, I thought he could use it.  Then Sunday we were going to go on a trail ride, but he refused to load!  He has been really good, I'm not sure what the issue was today.  He would come within a few feet, then back up.  If we applied more pressure he would kick out, or leap up in the air.  I tried doing some groundwork, he was good until he got close to the trailer.  We tried bribing him with grain, that didn't work either.  I once got him up to the edge of the trailer, then lifted his hoof and put it in the trailer.  I patted him and gave him a treat, but he just stood on his toe and the treat fell from his mouth, almost like he was in shock.  I lifted his second hoof and placed in the trailer.  He stood for a moment and I gave him a treat, then he leapt backwards and wouldn't get close again.  My trainer tried doing a little groundwork and getting him in; make him work if he didn't go forward.  That didn't work either.  We tried putting another horse on the trailer.  Cupid walked up to the edge and started lifting his leg, then quickly backed up.
Being stubborn
Angry horse, biting he air
I was frustrated, and confused.  Cupid knows how to load, and he didn't seem anxious.  At this point I wasn't sure if I should give up.  Continuing seemed kind of pointless, though I don't want Cupid to think he can get out of doing something by being naughty.  We took a break for a little while, walked around and I gave him a bath because he was already filthy before and now he worked up quite a sweat.  Then when my trainer was done teaching I got him back out.  My trainer led him, while I stood behind him with a lunge whip.  Luckily I didn't have to hit him, as tapping behind him got him forward.  We tried to be patient, and praise him when he went forward but every few steps forward he went back again.  Finally I saw him start licking and chewing, and I thought maybe there is hope.  Then all of a sudden Cupid just walked up, like no big deal and we hadn't wasted half the day!  I gave him treats, let him eat hay on the trailer for 10 minutes, then let him off and we were done for the day.

I am going to try having him hang around the trailer more, let him eat off the back and tie him to it for grooming so he sees it as a good place.  My trainer said we also need to work on the send forward command.  But hopefully this was just a fluke?



No comments:

Post a Comment