Monday, August 27, 2018

Week in Review

Last Sunday, after a really good lesson in the outdoor arena, we were cooling off with a walk around the property when suddenly Cupid went to his knees.  I think we were both pretty stunned as he stayed there a moment, but then he straightened up and I jumped off.  At first I was confused as I didn't see anything he could have tripped over, but the hole was behind us.  Apparently he got a hind foot in it, and momentum brought his front end down.  Though he had a little scuff on one knee, he is fine.  No swelling or lameness.  (Of course I still cold hosed it because I like to worry and fuss!)
Poor Cupid :(
On Monday we kept it fairly light, about half an hour of walk and trot.  Working on the idea of "carry yourself," making Cupid responsible for not petering out of whatever pace we set.

On Tuesday we did trot poles and a little course of poles and small jumps.

Wednesday we had a lesson and it was a bit odd.  It was foggy and cold, Cupid started out a bit stiff but ok.  We started trotting to the left, and all of the sudden he just lost energy.  He felt totally even though.  We continued to trot a bit to see what happens.  Then we walked, and then did some canter work which actually felt quite good.  But afterwards when we went back to the trot it was just like someone took the wind out of his sails, but again he didn't seem sore or off.  I packed his feet just in case.

I gave him Thursday off and did some stretches from my Masterson Method book.  I also noticed when I was grooming him he was shedding quite a bit.  In the past he has sometimes been a little funny when seasons change, so maybe that was it.

Cupid seemed back to normal on Friday, and we had a good ride.  I forgot my whip, and even though I don't feel like I use it that much it felt weird not having it!  But we were able to get our left lead canter several times without problem.

We had a lesson on Saturday, and played a little with the German martingale.  Cupid didn't like it at first and tried a few evasions - lifting the head, dropping the head, going quick.  Then he gave in, and it felt quite nice.  I wish I could get that same steady contact without it.  Though for some reason it did seem to make me want to carry my hands high, I'll have to work on that next time.  We ended with some leg yielding, and I realized that not only is it more elegant but also more effective if I just squeeze with my calf instead of bump with my heels.  Which I probably should have known but was a new realization for me!

On Sunday we went on a trail ride, the same park we usually go (Huddart).  We did about 2 hours and Cupid was very good, no spooks. 
Walking under the oak trees on the way to the trailhead
No water in the creek
Redwoods!


No comments:

Post a Comment