Monday, October 29, 2018

Better

Cupid appears to be feeling good, and back to normal.  I've still been keeping the cantering to a minimum, but he has felt comfortable and not acted cranky about it.  I lunged him a few days ago and he picked up the left lead correct all three times I asked. 

What he have been struggling a bit with is him being behind my leg - which is part of the reason why we haven't been cantering as much, because I don't want to practice sloppy transitions where I have to chase him into it.  Usually he's good about midway through a ride, but it starts out pretty poky.  The weather has been quite warm, and Cupid hasn't been clipped so I think that contributes to it but of course is not an excuse.  So I'm trying to be more clear about expectations and not settle for less, and make sure that starts during warm up.  Part of that is just intent on my part (I get lazy too!), making sure I'm not blocking him with my seat, and being firm when needed instead of just nagging throughout.  Transitions within gaits and leg yielding are good exercise to get him listening.
Enjoying some sunshine and what's left of the grass
Lessons have been going well, and have been primarily focused on increasing our connection.  My trainer has been focusing on making sure I don't let my reins get too long - check each time we change direction or increase bend.  Cupid isn't resistant, the last week or so he's felt amazing and light and responsive.  But it still feels a bit foreign to me after 20+ years riding on a longer rein, like I'm water skiing on his face, but I'm trying! 

We've been doing a lot of 20 meter circle with 10 meter half circles inside to change direction.  We've also been doing a 20 meter circle, with a 10 meter circle to the inside, then shoulder fore coming out of the smaller circle a few steps, then straighten a bit and increase the trot.  We've also been doing a 3 loop serpentine with a 10 meter circle figure-8 as we cross the centerline.  All this at the trot - like I said we've been doing a lot of trotwork!  Cupid's work ethic has been super lately, once we get warmed up anyways.  He likes to figure out what we're doing and seems quite keen to get it right, so I just need to be clear and consistent!

5 comments:

  1. This is all great news. When I first got Carmen her canter to the right was terrible- it felt so wonky and unbalanced. It was hard to get and then hard to sit correctly and not interfere. The saddle fitter also found a difference between her sides in the tracings. With work and time she has become more symmetrical and her tracings are showing it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you work slightly more on the weaker side to get it stronger?

      Delete
    2. Not so much more but I often started on the 'bad' side first to get it going before fatigue set in. Mostly it was keeping it correct for a short time then break so that it didn't go all wonky. It took a while.

      Delete
  2. cool exercises!! i have started introducing 10m half circles to our regular work but am not entirely sure charlie wouldn't fall down and die if i tried to do the full circles, let alone two back to back to change direction!! maybe one day tho lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fairly new for us too - progress!! :) Though I'm sure it helps that Cupid is much smaller and more compact than Charlie, he is not quite 15.3 hands and fits a 69 blanket!

      Delete