Monday, October 22, 2018

Semi-Update, and more WE Show Photos

Cupid has seemed slightly better our last few works, but we also took it a bit easy so it's kind of hard to say.  We had lessons on Friday and Sunday, where I started warmed him up at the walk and trot, then got off and he cantered on the lunge line, then I got back on and finished with trot work.  Both days he was a bit lazy to start, so I focused on being more forward in the warm up portion.  Friday he was inconsistent with the left lead on the lunge, but was much better on Sunday.   I didn't have side reins on him, and he looked much happier without them.  However on Sunday cantering to the right he did twist his head a bit - I was using a caveson and had the line clipped over his nose so it wasn't related to the bit or uneven pressure.  

After the lunge portion he usually has more energy, and we've had some really great trot work.  I don't know if the lunging is helpful for him to loosen up a bit?  I'm not a huge fan of lunging because doing that many small-ish circles seems hard on them so I don't do it very often, but right now it is seeming to help.  ??? 

In between lesson days we went for a nice hack around the property, bareback.

Some photos from the working equitation schooling show.

Not very dressage-y, sigh.
No I shouldn't have to lean this far to get it - that is just bad form!
Medieval times

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad he seems to be feeling a bit better. And the show looked like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely seems to be feeling better now, so big relief!

      Delete
  2. I feel ya on the not wanting to lunge too often. What happens if you skip the lunging and warm-up with no rein contact at all, and just focus on sending him forward? That is basically what I do with Rio, otherwise he won't even get his engine going. Other then the occasional steering aid I have to start with zero contact in the trot and canter until his motor is going on it's own, then I can started to take a feel and balance him. Just a thought, since I also prefer to avoid lunging for the wear and tear aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at no rein contact, lol, just need to remember the forward part! He's seemed looser the last few days, but I did start my trot warm up in 2 point today (despite being in the dressage saddle).

      Delete