Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Baby Steps

The much-welcomed break from winter was short lived, and the wind and rain has returned.  To make matters worse, I'm in a busy period at work, so most of my rides have been somewhat short.  So I just pick one or two things to work on each ride, and this week it's been very basic things to fix some holes.

I like to start with 10 minutes of walking, then sometimes I only get on trot set in before I have to cool down and wrap up.  So I'm making sure, even if we're walking on a longer rein that Cupid is moving out, and responding to my leg if I ask.  As I worked on in my last lesson, I ask lightly and if no response tap-tap with the whip. Cupid is not totally convinced I mean it, but it's been improving!  I feel kind of silly that we haven't nailed down something this basic by now.

We also practiced our halts.  Cupid still has a tendency to swing his haunches right after we halt, and even though I'm trying to keep my leg on I'm not being very effective.

In our shoulder ins and leg yields we've been making sure we aren't overbending through the neck.  A recent lesson in in-hand work with my trainer was very helpful in visualizing a correct shoulder-in - I had always just focused on the front end of the horse and never really thought about the hind legs crossing.  Again, silly I know!
Bundled up for a little visit
Also snuggly and warm in his rain sheet.
I also did a short lunge session this week.  The up transitions are not very prompt.  But I was happy to see that even just warming up, before I put the side reins on, Cupid was looking a bit rounder though still dumped on the forehand.  He naturally overtracks at the walk, but at the trot he has to be warmed up and then pushed to get him to track up.

2 comments:

  1. I think that training yourself to focus on hind leg movements during exercises is one of the hardest parts of becoming a more knowledgeable rider. I'm excited to hear about your break through in the shoulder in- don't feel silly! Good luck and keep up the good work, even if it's only a few steps at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw that first pic is super cute tho <3

    ReplyDelete