Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The New Normal

I've been riding a long time (over 25 years), but unfortunately I've been riding incorrectly for most of it.  Which is a lot of bad habits and muscle memory to overcome!  I was hoping the few weeks off the end of last year would be a bit of a reset, and came back trying to do things correctly and telling myself that's just the way I do it.  I can't say I've been totally successful, but have made a lot of progress since the beginning of the year.  Some of the things I'm working on:

- We can still start on a loose rein, but must be marching forward.

- I don't nag with my heels.  My legs are long and "hug Cupid's sides".  If I want him to move forward I squeeze my calves, and if I don't get the full response I want (not just some reaction) I reinforce immediately with a tap-tap of the whip behind my leg.

- My toes point forward!  And the stirrups are on the balls of my feet, straight not angled.

- Elbows are soft and hands closed, and I maintain a feel of his mouth.  No flapping reins!
Rain, wind, and/or fog have also become the new normal

3 comments:

  1. toes not pointing forward is one of my all-time least favorite bad habits, ugh (among many others, let's be real). why is it so hard to fix tho?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kind of got duck feet even out of the saddle and my right foot is worse than my left, I noticed that even on the elliptical!

      Delete
    2. Add me to the list of people who stands 'toed out'. I used to struggle with knee and ankle pain when I tried to put my toes forward in the saddle, took me forever to figure out it's my upper leg that needed to rotate in!

      Delete