Thursday, March 21, 2019

SmartPak Ultimate EasyMotion Turnout Sheet Review

Cupid wears a no-fill turnout sheet probably about half the year.  I like to have 2 to be able to rotate during the rainy season.  My favorite brand is Weatherbeeta, but I will generally forgo brand loyalty in the name of a good sale.  Cupid wears a 69-72, a bit of a fringe size so we can get lucky on occasion.  Though I haven't been super impressed with many of SmartPak's house brand products in the past, this turnout sheet was marked down from $240 to 66 so I figured it's worth a try and I'll be happy if I get a year or two out of it.  Though it does have a "10-Year Indestructible Guarantee."

The unique feature of this blanket is the "rollback neck".  So it's a high neck blanket, but you can fold it down and clip it into place to make it a mostly normal neck blanket.  I was intrigued by this, but in the end it kind of feels like when you try to do everything and end up good at nothing.  When it's open (top photo) it doesn't really provide as much coverage as I would like in rain, but when it's clipped down (bottom photo) it's a bit awkward.  To me a blanket with detachable neck hood would be much preferred - but because of the price difference I'm willing to live with this.

Another thing about the blanket is it has a fairly low drop, which is a drawback on a small bodied horse like Cupid but other people may be happy about.  The tail flap is also quite generous.
I didn't notice when I ordered it but the front is kind of unique too.  Per the website: "SmartContour™ cut, a specialized curved cutout at the front of the blanket that allows your horse to move his front legs more freely while the ergonomic front leg gussets are higher up and farther forward than traditional gussets to match the true movement pattern of your horse’s leg swing."  I don't like how it kind of flares out away from the horse's body, but I'm hoping it will relax down with time.  In addition to the shoulder gusset, this blanket also has one in the back, which none of my other blankets have.

I like the hardware on the chest - I prefer clips to just buckles.  The surcingle straps and leg straps are pretty standard. 

At first impression I'd give this blanket 3.5 stars (bows & arrows, for Cupid?) out of 5 because I don't love the neck design and the low drop.  I wouldn't pay the full price, but at the sale price I'm happy enough with the purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment