Monday, June 3, 2019

Working Equitation Clinic

It has been over 6 months since Cupid and I did the working equitation clinic and show, so I was excited to have the opportunity to try it again.  Since last time went so well I was pretty optimistic, and thought we would be able to work on refining our technique.

We started out in hand again.  We took a quick lap around the arena, then I went to the cup obstacle since that's the one we had the most trouble with the first time.  We walked through between the cones once, then halted between the cones.  Cupid seemed fine with it.  We checked out a few more obstacles, and Cupid was perfectly relaxed so I thought we were ready to mount up.

I took Cupid out of the arena to bridle and mount up.  We went back into the arena and started walking around, perfectly calm.  Then Cupid's nemesis appeared - the leopard appaloosa from last time!  Not sure why they were in the arena since they weren't in the clinic, or why they were cantering around when everyone else was walking, but it doesn't really matter.  I don't know if it was me or Cupid, but things got a little tense and ugly for a while.  I tried trotting Cupid on a circle to get him settled, no dice as the appy continued cantering around.  They finally left the arena, but it took a long time for Cupid and me to get relaxed again.  I can't relax until Cupid does, and he can't if I'm pitched forward, it's an ugly cycle!  Cupid was still totally fine with the obstacles themselves (even when during the ring joust I accidentally tapped his rump with the pole), but our trot was quick and unbalanced and our down transitions late.  Which is why working equitation is so good for us, it's really just working on the basics!  Eventually we both started to relax and have fun.

We started by going through the obstacles one by one.  The one thing we could use a little more work on was the gate.  We were able to get through it, but it's hard for me to move his haunches and back up with only one hand on the reins.  

We ended with going through the whole course like we would in a show - trotting between all obstacles.  Cupid was totally relaxed, down transitioned smoothly, and was bending and listening.  Even though we had a bit of a rough beginning, I was really happy with how we ended things!

I just need to keep working on staying relaxed even if Cupid isn't, and not letting him dictate the tempo. 



4 comments:

  1. WE is so much fun. Not that I've done a lot of it but I had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bummed to miss this clinic. Sounds like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are going to have a schooling show in October :)

      Delete
  3. I really want to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete