Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Tack: Passier Marcus Ehning II Anatomical Bridle

I couldn't think of anything I really needed to buy on black Friday, but I felt compelled to get something.  Horrible I know!  Even though we didn't really need a new bridle, I have been thinking of trying one of the newer anatomical designs.  Cupid seems fine in his old ones, but he does sometimes stop to rub his face on his leg and usually after a ride he rubs his head on me.  So I wanted to see if we can avoid some of the nerves on his face whether that would make a difference.  Also the ear cutouts in the Bobby's bridle I primarily use aren't quite in the right place for him. 

I don't use a flash on him, so I needed something with no or a removable flash (I don't really care if there is a loop for it.)  I'm also apparently unusual in not really caring for patent leather, bling, or rolled leather so I was having a hard time finding something I liked! 

The Schockemohle Delta was close, but I wasn't sure about the noseband and bit hangers being on the same cheekpiece.  The Kavalkade Ivy fit my criteria, but I wanted to splurge on something a little nicer.  Finally I came across the Passier Marcus Ehning II. 

The size guide seemed to indicate that it runs a little bit, so I ordered the cob size which turns out to fit Cupid quite well.  It is not buttery soft, but true to its German heritage seems to be a good quality leather that will get better with age.   It came with webbed reins.



I wasn't sure about the curved browband, but I figured that would be simple enough to swap out if I don't like it.  But upon seeing it I think I'll keep it as is.  The noseband is thicker then I'd prefer, but it's alright.  It may just be a coincidence but in the first few rides with it Cupid has not rubbed his head on his legs, and after our rides he is still happy to have me rub his face but hasn't been rubbing his head on me.  Overall I am very happy with this purchase!


2 comments:

  1. That looks really nice on him. Interesting about the anatomical fit. I've not really tried that route but I do love the ear cut outs on bridles. They make so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting. I don't feel much difference riding but the head rubbing seems to have decreased dramatically. But maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see?! I don't think he had any real discomfort before but possibly some low level irritation. If nothing else it's pretty.

      Delete