Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Yarra Yarra, Day 2

My trainer told me something in our last session before the show - that we are now at the point where I need to stop thinking about it as "surviving" the show, and focus on trying to ride our best possible test.  It's a small and silly distinction, but it is accurate.  I did go into a show thinking anything can happen (we can pick up the wrong lead, or start cantering when we're supposed to be trotting, or Cupid gets quick or even crop hops) so I was pretty happy just to get through it.  A test goes by so fast it's pretty much over before I even realize what's happening.  Often times in a show what we produced was maybe 50% as good as how we generally feel in a lesson; at our last show last fall I was pretty happy when it felt at least 75% as good.  But I really wanted to commit to putting in our best test possible, and not just "get through it."

My coach was also showing that day, she was riding not long before me so she was also warming up her own horse but did give me some tips in warm up.  Cupid was a little "up" but listening.  Since Cupid is more reactive at shows I decided to forgo spurs and my whip.  The warm up arena was pretty wet, though it felt okay and Cupid handled it fine but I didn't realize until afterwards just how dirty we had gotten!

We headed to the covered arena for our test, and I tried to remember everything I had been working on: steady contact, legs under me, sitting up, and set the tempo I want through my posting and not let Cupid change it.  And I think I was largely successful!  It is still a little inconsistent at times, but at least now I realize and more importantly can even correct when the reins have gotten a little long, or I'm tipping forward.  We had a few distracted moments when Cupid could hear his buddy whinnying and responded, right around the corner between A and F, but overall it was our best test to date.  It's a bit silly, but I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion after we finished.  You can see me smile as we halt at X, but after I squeaked out a thank you to the judge my eyes were tearing up.  Just really really happy with my horse, and that our hard work is finally feeling like it's paying off. 




Here's the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-Fj5o8LkU


We had a bit over half an hour until our second test, so I stayed on though we just walked and stood around for a bit.  I didn't feel like we needed to do a whole lot before our second test.  My coach came over with about 15 minutes to go and had us work a little on bending and getting round.

The second test was about the same quality as the first, which is to say I was quite happy.  Still a few things to work on - steadying the contact and fixing my suddenly weirdly floppy ankles/lower legs.  But overall this felt like a huge improvement from our last show last fall, and I think I'm finally starting to look like a dressage rider instead of a hunter rider in a dressage saddle!

Here's the video of our second test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnkCt08EQU

My tentative plan is to do one more rated show this March at Training, then hopefully try First level at a schooling show in April!

2 comments:

  1. nice job!! i know exactly what you mean about trying to be more "pilot" than "passenger" in the show ring... it's HARD haha. Cupid really does look so much softer and more relaxed than he has at some of your past shows, nice work and congrats!! and so exciting to be getting ready for First!! :D

    also it's funny that you're trying to fix "floppy" ankles and lower legs bc my trainers are trying to get me to be MORE floppy and less grippy in that area lol... but it's always something, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =)
      My problem is I brace my feet in the stirrups. Also a bit of pinching with my knees, so the ankles in between get floppy!

      Delete