Friday, January 15, 2021

Lesson Notes

I've been continuing to take weekly biomechanics lessons on a school horse, as well as a weekly session with my regular coach.  My SO asked about this (possibly trying to wrap his head around how much I'm spending on this hobby 😂) so I came up with a sports analogy to explain it.  I said my biomechanics instructor was like my QB coach, who works with me on the finer points of technique.  My regular coach is like the offensive coordinator, who looks at the big picture and how Cupid and I work together as a team.  So I guess I still have room for a head coach?!

My last biomechanics lesson focused more on the arms and upper body, since I think my lower half is starting to show some improvement! 

-"Soggy arms" is what my instructor says I have.  She says my whip is a dead giveaway, as it flops around when my arms are soggy.  So she basically grabbed my lower arm with both her hands and told me to get the feeling of lifting her off the ground (but without actually lifting my hands).  

-Opposing forces: keeping my elbows back, but get the feeling of pushing my hands forward at the same time.  Suggested imagery was thinking of pushing a wheelbarrow.

-My tendency is to make my front half longer than the back.  Need to make sure I'm not arching my lower back.  Think about pilates, pressing my lower back against the mat.

-Post through my thighs, not my feet.  To get the feeling, my instructor will put her hand under my feet (at the halt!) and tell me not to crush it!

-I tend to sit more on my right seatbone.  Especially tracking right, make sure I'm balanced on both seat bones and my chin is in line with the withers (which may mean I need to think about looking slightly outside the circle - which may explain why Cupid can overbend through his neck to the right and my lesson horse was drifting in on the circle!)

-Continued working on the "slapkick" - a quick touch with the lower leg making sure I don't turn in my heels.  Think about the stirrup touching the horse, not my heels.

Getting better!  And oh so serious 😂

My last lesson with Cupid seems oh so long ago so I'm having trouble remembering details, but I remember having a great feeling when it ended!  The primary objective is still getting Cupid rounder, as well as making sure he's in front of the leg / prompt transitions. 

Also in other news, Cupid's been a bit of a lesson horse himself, as a young lady at my barn has ridden him a few times with our mutual coach.  Her horse unfortunately had to be retired, and her new OTTB is getting some time off.  She is a very nice person and hard worker, so I am happy to help out and know Cupid will take great care of her and start showing her the ropes what she can expect with her own horse down the line!

1 comment: