Friday, February 5, 2021

Developing Feel With Rainbow Reins

So after doing dressage almost exclusively for what, like 3 years now? I am still working on developing feel.  Unfortunately the last 3 years are pretty short compared to the rest of my riding "career" where I basically lived by the rule of don't touch the horse's mouth.  So as much as my trainer has told me to shorten my reins (and yes, I do understand that roundness doesn't come from the reins, but you do need a consistent contact which I generally lack), it never really sunk it.  So finally I resorted to good old fashioned rainbow reins.  Not just for 8 year old pony kids anymore. 😆  

It has been a huge help!  Now I know, generally in working gaits my hands should be right in between the green and pink (and no cheating with straight elbows!)  And then once I'm there, it really helps make sure I don't let the reins slide longer, which I usually do.  It still feel weird to me to be riding with that much contact, though Cupid generally does go better.  He does resist sometimes, and I think it's going to take him a little while to trust it fully since the poor guy is used to me dropping him constantly over the past 5+ years. 


So even though I thought it might be a little silly, I'm really glad I tried this.  Hopefully this will help me develop the feel and I will be able to replicate it without the colors to guide me!

1 comment:

  1. I’ve used those too and like them. I think ths5 w3 should use whatever helps.

    ReplyDelete