Thursday, March 4, 2021

Neue Schule Verbindend, Splurge vs Steal

Eons ago, last fall, my trainer lent me her NS Verbindend bit ("NS") to try on Cupid and she thought it was an improvement and I should get one.  At the time, I was a little uncertain because it felt like some of the ride was very good with Cupid feeling quite round (still a struggle, especially at that time) but he also came above the bit with more reaction then either the single joing snaffle or Herm Sprenger double joint I was primarily riding him in.  But I trust her judgment and bought one during black Friday.  Then unfortunately a few days later I got a message that it was back-ordered, delivery date uncertain.  

I thought about canceling the order and trying a different retailer, but I didn't want to lose my black Friday promotion.  I scoured Facebook tack groups but unfortunately did not find any the right size.  But then I came across UK-based Expert Bits that makes something that looked quite similar.  I was a bit hesitant to buy something I wasn't familiar with that didn't have many reviews.  But the company seemed legitimate, and I like that it's a family owned company, and at 1/3 the price of the NS I figured it was worth a try.

I placed my order and received my bit a week later!  My first few rides in it felt pretty similar to the NS - the good parts were very good but there was still some resistance where Cupid threw his head up in protest, more reactive then our old bit.  But after a few rides I was quite happy with it.

Now after long last I finally received the NS and laid it by the dupe for comparison.  They really are quite similar.  One difference is the width - NS comes in 12mm or 16 (mine is 12), and the Expert bit is right in between at 14mm.  The center link is slightly smaller on the NS, and the holes in it smaller.  The NS is also a bit more sharply angled.  Both bits are a copper alloy but I don't know the composition - the NS is shinier and I think maybe a bit softer (I've only had one ride in it, but you can see some light teeth marks which wasn't the case with the other one.)


I've only had one ride in the NS, and it was good though I didn't really notice a difference from the Expert.  Our rides have been a bit inconsistent lately, so it just felt like any of our better recent rides.  Since I'll probably be using this bit for a while I don't regret buying the NS, but I think the Expert is a solid alternative.  Especially if you aren't able to test a NS before buying it and aren't sure it is right for your horse, or for young horses especially ones that chomp the bit, or just as a back-up to keep in your trailer, which is what I think I'll be doing with mine!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Where did you get the Expert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from them directly through the website, https://expertbits.co.uk/product/loose-ring/

      Delete