Monday, March 22, 2021

Training Aid or Gadget? - Pessoa Lunging System

Sometimes I hesitate to put up pictures or write about something some people may find controversial.  (Not that there are that many people reading this.)  But this is my journal, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that I got a Pessoa and have been lunging Cupid in it about once a week to help encourage him to use his hind end.

The first time I used it I let Cupid warm up in the walk and trot without it.  Then I put it on with my trainer there to help me adjust it correctly, and he was pretty accepting.  We trotted both directions, and it was easier to get him forward and stepping under himself compared to when I just use side reins.  He bucked when I asked him to canter, but was fine after that.  

I am using the Pessoa the same way I am trying to ride him, with more push from behind into a steady contact.  Except unfortunately when I ride I don't think my contact is steady enough, which is why I thought the Pessoa will help Cupid figure out what we're trying to do.  I think he's looked pretty good with it and doesn't seem to mind.

I've heard the arguments against it, but I consider the Pessoa a training aid, and a useful tool if used in moderation and with knowledge.  Which is how I feel about most gear - some things I wouldn't use myself, but it could be useful for a given horse with the right rider/handler.  For instance I'm not opposed to draw reins under the right circumstances - but it is not something I would use myself because as I said my hands aren't steady enough and I wouldn't really be comfortable right now with 2 reins.  Even bits that may seem unorthodox I feel like for some horses and with a very quiet educated rider they are fine.  So I hope no one is judging me for trying the Pessoa!



4 comments:

  1. Super interesting! I'm all for trying things to help communication: and there is something to be said for building muscle memory/coordination too, right? then the training wheels can always come off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i hope nobody is judging you either! i'm a big believer of doing what works for you and your horse. there are honestly so many 'right' ways to go about riding and training, and very (very) few truly wrong ways. when it comes to riding aids / gadgets, i try to think of them like: if i ride in it for a few days, then ride with out it -- can i still feel the improvements? or, when i ride without it, do things go right back to being bad again? if i can feel the improvements and things are getting better, then it's an aid that's improving training that i'll continue to use. if things stay the same without it, or get worse, then it's just a crutch that probably isn't actually helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes in order to ride a movement correctly I need Cupid to be working correctly, but he can't work correctly unless I'm riding correctly. X) The aids help either him or me figure out what we're supposed to be doing, so we can then help each other out!

      Delete
  3. No judgement from me. I have wondered about how it might work with Carmen. If it's working for you then keep on using it.

    ReplyDelete