Friday, May 17, 2019

Doctor's Orders

After following an abscess protocol for about a week (consisting of a combination of soaking in epsom salt, and wrapping with epsom gel or animalintex) Cupid definitely looked more comfortable, but still not 100%.  I know abscesses can take time, and strangely come and go sometimes, so I wasn't overly concerned but I also didn't want to miss anything that might help his comfort.  So I had our lovely vet take a look.  He said Cupid was mildly sensitive to hoof testers near one nail, and though he wasn't sure that was the cause he pulled that nail and advised me to flush the nail hole with betadine solution.  He said he could pull the shoe and prod around, but based on what he saw he didn't think that would give any more answers.  The next day or two he still looked about the same, and then he looked better.

Satisfied, I rode him a few times, just walk/trot and he felt quite good.  The rain is back, and it's an insane week at work, plus I'm home alone with the baby so I haven't had too much time to ride but had a few good, short rides and even two lessons.  The vet watched a few minutes of my lesson yesterday and said he wanted to take another look.  He said he still got some reactivity to the hoof testers, which I was kind of surprised about because Cupid was moving nicely and, more importantly, his attitude about work has been super and he's normally not a very stoic horse!  He pulled another nail on the other side, and recommended I soak with CleanTrax.  But light riding is still fine so hopefully the weather won't be too terrible this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment